Monday, April 27, 2009

3 Ashley/eighs 3 Megans and 2 Amandas

(photograph courtesy of charley http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjeckman)
There are so many blonde people in my life. And not in the 90’s sense of being the butt of jokes but in the 50’s sense of downright sassiness. I feel like the 24 Californian girls that transcended the Atlantic to come study abroad here came more for the sakes of me getting to study a, broad.

Once again I am a tourist in my own city, well mine and Helen Zilles’ now. And life is just peachy. It’s both fast and furious except without Vin Diesel and the fast cars, or the furious women. I like this part of the year.

It’s kind of intimidating really. What I mean by this is that there is so much going on consistently that I start glazing over a little and I am becoming hard to the emotions that used to well up in me when this city first wouldn’t let me sleep for fear of missing out on the life and the way that it moves me here. Last night I had the wonderful joy of being able to stand back and do what I do the least, but I what I love the most. Take a little stock of what is actually going on all around me before it runs roughshod over my life and I am non the wiser.

America and I had a delicious Mexican dinner in Hout Bay, which was not Mexican, so much as a packet of Doritos with cheese and salsa and then moved up the mountain to that sweet make out spot halfway up Chapman’s Peak. My hat.

As Dawie pointed out, a perfect night for stargazing. Barely a breath of wind and not a soul in sight, right up until that point when two souls were both in sight and on top of each other in their car not so very far away from our perchment.

Caveman Dave nonchalantly says out the corner of his mouth, “ Its so weird.”
“ I never thought Cape Town looked this much like a bay.”

Feeling like Ravin’ Dave had just made a sweeping statement of the city at large and merely incorporated Hout Bay into that en-sweepment-I let it slide. And then I realized he had just assimilated Hout Bay for being the city entire. Shame, poor Dave.

This weekend I also had the massive privilege of seeing the most beautiful woman that could ever stand next Brandon Ewan. Except she wasn’t standing next to Brandon. Brandon was nowhere to be seen, lost in the fog if you will. Brandon and Devon have been training for the Freedom Swim. Possibly one of the most hardcore endurance events this nation has to offer and possibly one of the least publicized-and no one knows why. It’s a charity driven swim where a couple hundred entrants swim from Robben Island, across the channel to the mainland by Bloubergstrand. It’s no small feat. There are other things that are small on that day, like the small issue Speedo’s the men have to wear and the small boats that support them in the water and also the small, um pen’s they use to write down their times and such.

And there we are, on the mainland sipping our respective coffee’s while Shani debates whether mid-day is too early to enjoy a glass of wine and Jarred goes on and on about his larger than average physique and then Lichelle (the aforementioned wife of Brandon) drops the, ‘Oh Brandon and I have resigned from our jobs and going backpacking across the universe in a month’s time-‘ bomb.

Now you must understand that neither Brandon nor Lichelle are students, it has been some time since they were allowed to be so forward with their dreams and not reap the consequences from the rat race. I can appreciate this in them. Well heck, I could go with them. But I wont. It would be too weird. Plus Brandon clearly made his allegiance clear to all of us when he decided that spending the rest of his life with a girl was more important that spending the rest of his life playing playstation with the boys.

Im sorry, the rat race. You might just have to wait for me too because Brandon and Lichelle make a lot of sense. And right now, so does Southern California.

But so too does Milnerton. I love this city and I love the people here. I love going out with Nathan, recently married to a babe of a lady who has the most solid head on her shoulders. I love going to the Old Biscuit Mill deal and getting coffee and savoury treats sitting side by side with Nathan and having all the appearances of being very, very metrosexual. Like the mould on a roof painted green so has the love grown in my heart for this city and the way she moves me. And be she, I mean Helen.

No comments: